"The Movement" Cookie #1 — Katharsis
From its debut, I’ve been quite enamoured with Gail Simone’s comic series “The Movement” and being able to meet Gail herself and get my issue #1 signed in Wellington this year was simply mindblowing (she said she liked my bag, haha!). While brainstorming for new baking experiments, I decided to base a series of cookies on the lead characters of “The Movement”, starting with my current favourite, Katharsis. Katharsis is a badass ex-cop who seems violence-prone and, just like these chilli chocolate cookies, packs a mean punch. These cookies, adapted from GuiltyKitchen are full of sweetness, saltiness, and raw heat.
Find out how you can make them below the cut!
Remember to read the whole recipe before starting.
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup cocoa powder (Dutch-process is preferable, if you can find it)
2 tsp kosher salt (or flaky salt)
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 baking powder
1/2 - 1 tsp chilli powder (depending on how hot you like it)
1 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 regular white sugar
170 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
100 grams Lindt sea salt dark chocolate, chopped (or just broke up, it’s thin so it’s easy enough)
100 grams Lindt chilli dark chocolate, chopped
(NOTE: The original recipe recommends you use a standing mixer. I imagine that would make this much easier to mix, unfortunately I do not own one so I used an electric beater and wooden spoon.)
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and chilli into a medium sized bowl. Gently mix the salt into these dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, beat the butter until fluffy. Once beaten, add the brown and white sugars and cream.
- Add eggs one at a time, scraping down the side of the bowl after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Add half of the dry ingredient mixture to the butter mixture and mix carefully until combined. Scrape down the sides, and repeat with the other half of the dry ingredients.
- Stir in both the sea salt and chilli chocolate chunks, with a wooden spoon. Be aware that this dough will be incredibly thick and quite hard to stir. Put your back into it.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour. While you’re waiting, preheat the oven to 170ºC.
- Take the firm dough from the freezer and break off golf-ball sized chunks of dough. Place them evenly on a baking tray covered with baking paper, and bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Removed from the oven, and leave to cool for 5 minutes before moving them to a wire rack until they’re cool enough to eat.
Now pour yourself a glass (or three…) of milk or prepare a mug of tea, grab the latest issue of “The Movement”, and dig in!
- g00kie-m0nster reblogged this from gailsimone
- thatjayjustice likes this
- ella17 likes this
- jaiabear likes this
- tessawidmyerz reblogged this from thedarkcakerises
- anniebell009 likes this
- strawberryufeiiforeverxo likes this
- beauitfullybroken likes this
- pussypocalypse reblogged this from gailsimone
- ariasshadow reblogged this from nerdyrecipes
- vanitygames likes this
- ununnilium likes this
- likemymask likes this
- darkwizardjamesmason likes this
- infiniteviking likes this
- pithyrhyme likes this
- tumblrshowsmenaughtypictures likes this
- rosezemlya likes this
- the-scary-pumpkin likes this
- mchenrykeith likes this
- iamhereonly reblogged this from gailsimone
- nerdyrecipes reblogged this from gailsimone
- bardvarric likes this
- ealperin reblogged this from gailsimone and added:
- ealperin likes this
- melanijann likes this
- snyderman37 reblogged this from wraithstrike
- relax-and-read-on likes this
- pepitaaaah likes this
- jeezypetes likes this
- intrepidscholar likes this
- thesarcasmofsamwise likes this
- comicbabe likes this
- snyderman37 likes this
- hatersgonnahateandbitchesfuckyou reblogged this from gailsimone
- maliceandvice likes this
- thisusernameisunclaimed likes this
- inspirationengine likes this
- catskeyes likes this
- spicyavenger reblogged this from gailsimone
- spoopyegytionqueenhapsetshut likes this
- ktobermanns likes this
- sweetdeadlydreams likes this
- dungeonmaster11 likes this
- makiruz likes this
- leyisatree likes this
- berthaagogo reblogged this from gailsimone
- berthaagogo likes this
- bobkosgak likes this
- digitaltempest likes this